Friday, September 6, 2019

Due September 13 (Virtue Essay)

Today's class (9-6-19) was a wonderful start to our 2019-2020 co-op year!

We started our class with a prayer from the Book of Psalms. 


Psalm 23 

1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Assignment:
1) Write an essay using a virtue as your prompt. Due 9-13
2) Memorize The Arrow and The Song 
    by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. Due 9-20
3) Make sure you have read Black Beauty by 9-27
Here is a reminder of the virtues we discussed in class which are from William J. Bennett's Book of Virtues.

SELF-DISCIPLINE aka temperance -a cardinal virtue
COMPASSION  aka charity -a theological virtue

RESPONSIBILITY
FRIENDSHIP
WORK
COURAGE  aka fortitude -a cardinal virtue
PERSEVERANCE
HONESTY  aka justice -a cardinal virtue
LOYALTY
FAITH  theological virtue  
PRUDENCE - wisdom, vigilance 

Everyone recognizes these traits as essentials of good character. Some of the best places to find examples of these virtues are in great works of literature and exemplary stories from history. William J. Bennett has collected hundreds of stories in The Book of Virtues. It is an instructive and inspiring anthology. From the Bible to American history, from Greek mythology to English poetry, from fairy tales to modern fiction, these stories are a rich storehouse of moral literacy. The Book of Virtues is a reliable moral reference point that serves to anchor its reader in our culture, our history, and our traditions. 

Remember, you need to know this poem by heart. Due: September 20th. Begin to memorize it right away!  :)


The Arrow and the Song

I shot an arrow into the air, 
It fell to earth, I knew not where; 
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight 
Could not follow it in its flight. 

I breathed a song into the air, 
It fell to earth, I knew not where; 
For who has sight so keen and strong, 
That it can follow the flight of song? 

Long, long afterward, in an oak 
I found the arrow, still unbroke; 
And the song, from beginning to end, 
I found again in the heart of a friend. 
  

New words we used in class:
acronym
repertoire
recitation
  • Eros – romantic love
  • Philia – friend bond
  • Agape – unconditional like God's love

We ended our class with The Clown of God by Tomie dePaola




God bless you all. See you on Friday, September 13!


Verso l'alto!

Mrs Peggy LaSut Cortez

No comments:

Post a Comment